Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Is Paul saying what I think he is saying?


Is Paul saying what I think he is saying? 

Hebrews 6:4-6(NKJV)
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 
and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 
if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

It seems to me that Paul is saying that if those who accept Christ fall away, God will not take them back.  He cites as his reason that if would be like crucifying Christ all over again and that is why God won't forgive and take you back.  Am I reading too much into that?

I think it is flat out Scripturally wrong.  Let's compare what Paul just said to what Jesus said in Matthew.
 
Matthew 12:31-32(NKJV)
“Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Seems to me that Jesus is saying that there is only one unforgivable sin and that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.  Now one might argue that "falling away" is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit but I think that is a stretch because Jesus even went so far as to say you can talk bad about me but you can't talk bad about the Holy Spirit. 

Seems to me that falling away would be more akin to talking bad about Jesus than blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment