Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Did you know there were time when Israel had more than on prophet at a time?


I don't then why this surprises me, but it does.  I think maybe it is because you have the books of the prophets and they are all separate books.  You just don't think of them being around at the same time;at least I didn't.  But check this out.


In 760BC Amos and Hosea were prophesying to Israel at the same time.  Now Amos only did it for one year while Hosea did it for 30 years.

Then for a 10 year period Hosea was prophesying to Israel at the same time that Isaiah was prophesying to Judah.  And then for 37 years Isaiah and Micah were prophesying to Judah at the same time.   

You can see the rest of them for yourself in the chart above.  The other thing I find interesting here is that in a little over 300 years God sent 16 prophets to talk to His people.  But then after 433BC God stopped sending prophets. 

So for over 400 years before Jesus God stopped communicating with His people through His prophets.

As I read the prophets this time I am going to try and read the prophets who were alive at the same time together.  It will be interesting to see if I gain any additional insight that way. 







No comments:

Post a Comment