Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Were any truer words ever written?

 

Proverbs 1:7(NKJV)

    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,      But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

 

I needed a break from my regular study routine so decided to visit one of my very favorite books of the Bible.  As you can see from the passage above, that book is Proverbs.

 

I have always loved Proverbs for it's simplicity, it's common sense.  I kind of think of it as the Farmers Almanac portion of the Bible.  (No disrespect intended by the comparison)  There is just a down home folksiness to the wisdom found in Proverbs. 

It doesn't take long to find nuggets in Proverbs.  Seven verses into the chapter I found this one.  The part I see so much of in society today is the second part.  "But fools despise wisdom and instruction". 

Look at the venom and vitriol of some towards the wisdom and instruction that comes from the Bible.  Scripture tells us those people are fools.  That isn't us judging them.  That is Scripture identifying them for us.

OK, that's all well and good but what do we do about, to, or for them?  I think the only effective thing to do is pray for them.  Very seldom will you ever convince them in a debate or discussion.  Jesus warned us not to cast our pearls before swine and I think this is exactly what He was talking about. 

 

There has to be a change of heart and I think the only one who can bring that about is God, so pray for them! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment