Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

When Is It Literal and When Is It Allegorical?


One of the hardest things for me to discern in the Bible is when should we take things literally and when is the saying or story allegorical?  Jesus often spoke in parables instead of being direct so we know that we have to do some reading between the lines.   

Here is an example of what I mean.

Mark 11:22-24(NKJV)
22So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. 
23For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 
24Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.

Does Jesus really mean we can cast mountains into the sea?  I don't think so.  I do however think this is a great allegory about the fact that faith and belief can get us over many of the huge insurmountable obstacles that we face in life. 

One of my favorite sayings is that the facts don't count when you have a dream.  Meaning God can change the facts and circumstances when no one else can.  God can take what appears to be a hopeless situation and change it, if you have faith and believe.  And let me add one more thing.  If what you desire or are looking for is within God's will.

I know it sounds simplistic but give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment