Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

Why Do We Get To Just Ignore Parts Of the Bible?


Just one of those things that I don't understand.  We say that the Bible is the inspired Word of God but then we just flat out ignore parts of it.  Now let me be very clear up front that in the case of divorce, I am glad we ignore it.  I truly think that is the more compassionate,  Christian thing to do but still it is hard to reconcile that with what is in the Bible.

Mark 10:2-12(NKJV)
2The Pharisees came and asked Him, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?” testing Him.
3And He answered and said to them, “What did Moses command you?”
4They said, “Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce, and to dismiss her.
5And Jesus answered and said to them, “Because of the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. 
6But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’ £ 
7‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 
8and the two shall become one flesh’;£ so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. 
9Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”
10In the house His disciples also asked Him again about the same matter. 
11So He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 
12And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

I mean come on, it's Jesus speaking.  What He says seems pretty clear to me.  And yet it is hard for me to apply this to people I know that have gotten a divorce.  They are not bad evil people.  I just don't get it.

But that is part of what faith is about isn't it?  I don't junk the whole thing just because there are a few issues that I have questions about.  Just one of those things to ask Gods to explain to me someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment