Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Need The Full Context!


This caught my eye and caused me a bit of confusion.  This is why the full context is important. 

2 John 1:10-11(NKJV)
10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 
11for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

When I read this part I thought wait a minute, doesn't this contradict what Jesus said and did?  Remember Jesus was criticized for eating and associating with sinners and Jesus simply said hey I go where those who really need me are at.  (The Reames Paraphrase :)

Verse 10  from 2 John tells us not to even greet them, let alone associate with them.  As a side note I'll also point out that this contradicts "thou shall not judge" because to decide if someone is "in the doctrine" requires a judgment does it not?

Here is the problem.  I don't know about you but not all of my daily Bible reading is productive.  Sometimes my eyes are scanning the words but my mind is a million miles away.  Let's look at what I missed.

2 John 1:7-11(NKJV)
7For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 
8Look to yourselves, that £we do not lose those things we worked for, but that £we may receive a full reward.
9Whoever £transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 
10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 
11for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

Ah, that makes more sense.  John is talking about people who have already made a decision against Christ.  John is talking about those who have openly declared themselves enemies of God.  John is talking about those who are actively trying to destroy others faith in Jesus.

But what about the whole love your enemies thing.  I don't have a problem with that at all.  I don't believe for a second that love your enemies means invite them into your home so that can kill you and take everything you have (or in this case steal the faith of you and others).  I think love your enemies means being will to take mercy on them and forgiving them if they change their ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment