Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Sacrificial Giving


Why is giving important and why specifically is sacrificial giving important?

Mark 12:41-44(NKJV)
41Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. 
42Then one poor widow came and threw in two £mites, which make a quadrans. 
43So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; 
44for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”


Scripture tells us over and over about the importance of giving to God.  As the saying goes God can do more for me with the 90% left over than I can do for myself with the whole 100%.  But I believe Scripture is talking about more than money when it instructs us to give.  I believe it is talking about giving not just of our money but of our lives

In addition Scripture tells us that our heart is where our fortune is.  Giving freely to God helps demonstrate where our heart truly is.

Now on to sacrificial giving.  In the story the focus is on money but I'd like to look at another issue.  For many people today giving money is easy.  Just right a check or give electronically.  Occasionally people will give a bit more than usual but for most, even that isn't all that sacrificial.  It's not like we are going to miss a meal or anything. 

Now don't get me wrong, I think it's good to give money.  The more the better in fact because I believe God will bless you for doing so.  It's just that I think many of us have something that is even more important to us than our money.

That would be our time and energy.  Our mental abilities.  Our hands and feet in the service of God.  For many people today, giving of their time and efforts is more sacrificial than giving money.

I think the principal here is to give freely to God of everything you have, but especially give freely to God the things you treasure most.  That more accurately shows where the heart is in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment