Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

This surprised me!


It's not often that I am taken by surprise by something I read in the Bible.  But today is one of them.  I'm sure I've said this before but one of the things I love about studying God's word is the way that the Holy Spirit guides us to notice different things at different times of our life.  That is so cool!

Here is what I am referring to today.

Amos 5:13(NKJV)
    Therefore the prudent keep silent at that time,     For it is an evil time.

For some reason I had it in my mind that we need to always stand up for right and oppose evil no matter the personal cost.  This Scripture seems to say otherwise.  To me it is saying "Hey dude, sometimes it is smarter to keep your mouth shut.  You know, pick your battles and all that stuff."  Hmm.

As I reflect on that I am reminded of something in the New Testament and you know my belief that any theory gains strength if I can find it supported in both the Old and New T.  Well in the New T there was more than one occasion where Jesus snuck away from a confrontation rather than face it right then.  Jesus knew that the time had not yet come.  In other words He was picking His battles as well.

So there you have it in my opinion.  And just to add one more thought I will bring up Ecclesiastes where it says there is a time for this and a time for that.  The timing is not the same for everything!

I so love studying God's word!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment