Search This Blog

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Once again, no magic incantation.


Once again I am struck by the difference between Christian doctrine and what Jesus actually said.  We are told that we need to believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths that Jesus is the Son of God, He died for our sins, and rose again on the third day.  In other words there is this ritualistic incantation that we have to say to be saved.

And yet when I search the words of Jesus Himself I don't see that.  Take a look at these verses from Luke and then I will comment further.

Luke 7:44-47(NKJV)
Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 
You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 
You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 
Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”

Luke 7:50(NKJV)
Then He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.”

Notice that the woman didn't say the magic words.  I believe she demonstrated them with her actions but she didn't say the magic incantation.  And yet Jesus Himself tells her that her sins are forgiven.  And what was it that saved her?  Jesus says specifically it is her faith!!!! 

Now please understand, I'm not against a profession of faith.  Not at all.  I just don't believe not saying the magic words keeps one out of Heaven.  I believe demonstrating your faith in Jesus continually is what gets you there.  At least that is what I take from the verses above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment