Search This Blog

Friday, June 23, 2017

Wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

I find this scripture to be interesting.  What do you think it means? 

Matthew 10:16(NKJV)
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 

I think the "harmless as doves" phrase is one that some people use to try and say Christians should be pacifists.  If it was a standalone phrase I might be persuaded but taken in the entirety of the verse I have a different interpretation. 

Jesus is telling the disciples that He will be sending them out into a dangerous situation (sheep among wolves).  Then Jesus tells them how to survive that situation.  To me what it is saying is don't appear to be a threat but be totally aware of what is going on around you and be ready to strike like a serpent if need be. 

Now some might say I am reading more into this verse than what is there.  That is a fair criticism.  I base my interpretation on a knowledge of the whole Bible.  Here is what I mean.

We know that Jesus Himself got angry and resorted to physical violence.  Remember overturning the money changers?  So Jesus isn't opposed to violence.  He just uses it sparingly.

We know that in Luke 22 Jesus tells His disciples to arm up. 

Luke 22:35-36(NKJV)
And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” So they said, “Nothing.”
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 

When Jesus sent them out the first time Jesus said depend on God for everything.  The second time Jesus let them know that they were going to have to take care of themselves to a certain extent including defending themselves with a sword.  So Scripture indicates that Jesus believes in self-defense.

Therefore I find it illogical to believe that in this case Jesus is telling them to be wise as serpents but not to defend themselves by being harmless as doves.  I think my interpretation is much more logical based on all of Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment