Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

God is….Gracious


We often hear that God is gracious.  Here are some of the verses that say so.  Before we go to the verses however, let's take a look at the definition of gracious so we are all on the same page. 

gracious
  1. pleasantly kind, benevolent, and courteous.
  2. characterized by good taste, comfort, ease, or luxury:
gracious suburban living; a gracious home.
  1. indulgent or beneficent in a pleasantly condescending way, especially to inferiors.
  2. merciful or compassionate:
our gracious king.
  1. Obsolete. fortunate or happy.

From <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gracious>

I think definitions 1 and 4 would be the most applicable here. 

So God is gracious.  Who is He gracious towards?  I believe He is gracious towards those who are of the family of God.  In other words, towards those who have accepted Jesus.  That is different from many who say that God loves everyone and therefore He is gracious to all.

I both agree and disagree with that statement.  In the sense that God makes salvation available to everyone I and therefore is gracious, I would agree.  But in the sense that God is "pleasantly kind, benevolent, and courteous, I would disagree.  That "special treatment" if you will, is reserved for God's people.

Now let's take a look at a few Scriptures.

Exodus 22:27(NKJV)
For that is his only covering, it is his garment for his skin. What will he sleep in? And it will be that when he cries to Me, I will hear, for I am gracious.

Exodus 33:19(NKJV)
Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” 

2 Kings 13:23(NKJV)
But the Lord was gracious to them, had compassion on them, and regarded them, because of His covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and would not yet destroy them or cast them from His presence.

Nehemiah 9:31(NKJV)
    Nevertheless in Your great mercy     You did not utterly consume them nor forsake them;     For You are God, gracious and merciful.

No comments:

Post a Comment