Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2018

"…Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."



There seems to be quite a bit of this even in the New Testament in my opinion.  Last time through the NT I paid particular attention to what Jesus said in the four Gospels and what is taught in the rest of the NT.  I would recommend you read through the NT with the same approach some time.

Matthew 15:9(NKJV)
    And in vain they worship Me,      Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” 

There were many example that I pointed out the last time through the NT but the one which I will cite now is one that I found most interesting.  What do we need to do to be saved? 

Paul among others has this whole thing about believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord.  I compare that with what Jesus said.  Jesus said it was a heart issue…period.  Jesus didn't specify confessing with your mouth.  In fact Jesus went so far as to ask one guy something and after the guy answered Jesus said "close enough.". 

So in my mind Paul adding the confess with your mouth is a great example of the commandments of men.  Now let me be clear that I see nothing wrong with confessing with your mouth.  I have done it many times.  I just don't think it makes a difference of being saved or not being saved.  Make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment