Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Finding comfort and encouragement in both the Old and New Testaments

As I've mentioned before I read a chapter in the OT and chapter in the NT.  Then I mediate on what God is trying to communicate to me in His word that day.

 

Some might wonder, why both Old and New?  Good question!  I just find that there are stories and lessons in both that I can learn and/or draw comfort from.

 

Today's example is from Judges 20.  It is the story about Israel going against Benjamin in a war.  Israel inquires of God before going to war and God says "Go for it.".

So Israel goes for it and they are soundly defeated the first day.  The go back and inquire of God again, making sure they are on the right path.  God again tells them to go for it.

 

Same result.  They go back to God yet again.  The is crying and wailing.  God tells them to go for it yet again.  Israel has paid a pretty steep price in the loss of men already but God tells them to keep trying.

Finally on the 5th try Israel succeeds. 

Ever be working on a goal, heading in a direction you are sure God is telling you to head, and you just don't seem to be getting anywhere?  You inquire of God and God tells you "trust Me.  You are doing what you need to do.  Just keep going!". 

I have been facing that challenge and I just found this story from the OT very encouraging.

And that is why I try to read both.  You never know where God is going to speak to you from!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment