Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2022

"Be anxious for nothing,…."

I love this passage, Philippians 4:6-7.  It dovetails nicely with the message that Steve Harvey gives.  You know who I mean right?  Steve Harvey, the TV and radio personality.  If you have never heard one of his messages here is a link to one to get you started.

 

STEVE HARVEY MOTIVATION - Best Motivational Videos - Speeches Compilation 1 Hour Long

 

 

This one opens with "Talk to God often.  Even if you not perfect, talk to Him everyday."

 

The two pieces of Scripture he focuses on is the Scripture that says "you have not because you ask not" and "make your desires known to God"

The second part is the part that always made me uncomfortable.  Scripture tells us that God knows what we need and will supply it.  Couple that with Paul saying we need to be content in all circumstance, in need or in plenty.  (the Reames paraphrase :)  So I didn't feel right asking for "more than my needs". 

 

I now know that my thinking was Scripturally incorrect but I still feel funny asking for "extra".  Steve Harvey says make a Vision Board.  Make a list of 300 things that your heart desires.  Then pray over that list everyday.  I had a hard time doing that.  I felt like I was being greedy or materialistic or something. 

 

The reason I so like this Scripture is that it gives us a formula on how to make the desires of our hearts known to God.

 

Philippians 4:6-7(NKJV)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 

and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

 

"by prayer and supplication, WITH THANKSGIVING". Emphasis mine!

 

Pray with thankfulness in our hearts for all of the blessings we have already received as we ask for new blessings. 

I can do that!  :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment