Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Is this "discernment" training?

There are several places in the Bible that leave me wondering exactly what I am supposed to learn from the text.  Things in the text that just make you go 'huh?".  Here is one that I ran across today.

 

2 Samuel 9:11-13(NKJV)

Then Ziba said to the king, “According to all that my lord the king has commanded his servant, so will your servant do.” “As for Mephibosheth,” said the king, “he shall eat at my table like one of the king’s sons.” 

Mephibosheth had a young son whose name was Micha. And all who dwelt in the house of Ziba were servants of Mephibosheth. 

So Mephibosheth dwelt in Jerusalem, for he ate continually at the king’s table. And he was lame in both his feet.

 

Here is what I find odd about this.  When Mephibosheth is introduced earlier in this chapter it is noted that he is lame in his feet.  I just find it odd the way God ends by noting again that he was lame in his feet.  Why?

 

The fact that God took the time to point that out again makes me think that there must be some reason he did so.  Must be something I am to learn from that maybe?  But for the life of me I can't figure out what it is!  :)

That is what makes me think that little things like this are "discernment" training.  We need to learn to discern the important from the inconsequential.  Seems to me that this is one way to accomplish that goal.  Make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment