Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Abomination

We see this word used a lot in the Bible.  It got me to wondering what it really means and what are all of the things that God lists as an abomination to Him.

Off the top of my head I think abomination means something that is especially disliked.  Now let's go to the dictionary to find out.

a·bom·i·na·tion
noun
  1. anything abominable;  anything greatly disliked or abhorred.
  1.  intense aversion or loathing; detestation: He regarded lying with abomination.
  2. a vile, shameful, or detestable action, condition, habit, etc.: Spitting in public is an abomination.


OK, so that was pretty right on.  Now let's look at the things listed in the Bible as an abomination.  Some of the things on the list are the actual words used while other things are my interpretation of what the Bible was describing as an abomination.

Lying with a man as a woman
The carved images of other gods
A bull or sheep with a blemish that is offered as a sacrifice
Following other gods
Cross dressing (Deut. 22:5)
Ill gotten gains used as an offering
Remarrying someone you have divorced
The use of dishonest weights and measures
A perverse person
A proud look
A lying tongue
Hands that shed innocent blood
A heart that devises a wicked plan
Feet that run swiftly to evil
A false witness who speaks lies
One who sows discord among the brethren
Wickedness
A sacrifice from the wicked
He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the just (similar to yesterdays point)
A scoffer
One who turns away from God
An unjust man
Incense?

It's interesting that as I look at the list I see things that I go "Yep, that makes sense, I can see why that is an abomination.  However there are a couple on there that just make me go "Huh?".  A scoffer?  Incense?

As I look at this list I see several themes.  Sexual immorality, the worship of other gods, dishonesty, pride, and wickedness.

What can we learn from this? 

If God went to the trouble to say "Look, these things especially tick me off", it might be a good idea to pay special attention to these issues in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment