Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Don't know what to make of this.

Every now and then I run across something that just makes me wrinkle my brow and go "Wow, that sure doesn’t fit what I thought I knew about God.  It was so off that when I mentioned it to my wife she wondered if maybe it was just the particular translation I was reading.  So just to be sure, here is the passage from four different versions of the Bible.  Check it out.

Jeremiah 32:35(NKJV)
35And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.’


Jeremiah 32:35(KJV)
35And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin. 


Jeremiah 32:35(ASV)
35And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.


Jeremiah 32:35(TMSG)
35And then they went out and built shrines to the god Baal in the valley of Hinnom, where they burned their children in sacrifice to the god Molech—I can hardly conceive of such evil!—turning the whole country into one huge act of sin. §

Here's what I found so odd.  We are taught that God is all powerful and all knowing.  But yet we have God talking to the prophet Jeremiah and God says that way back then the Israelis did some things that were so evil that even God was taken by surprise.

Sort of begs the questions doesn't it?  If God is all knowing, how can He be taken by surprise?

Don't have an answer.  Guess its one of those things that I'm just going to have to put on my "Ask God when I get there list".  Lol!

1 comment: