Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Book of Balance

One of the things that I struggle with are what appear to be contradictions in the Bible.  I know some people just declare there are no contradictions and that is it.  Well that doesn't work for me because I can read and I see many things that seem odd to me.  So what gives?

Let me again say right up front that I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God.  I am starting with the assumption that God is way smarter than me and therefore there is something that I don't understand.  The fault is on my end, not God's.

Over many years of studying the Bible I have come to the conclusion that the Bible is a book of balance.  What do I mean by that?  Here are two examples that comes from the same chapter.  Let's take a look. 
----------------------------------
Matthew 7:1-2(NKJV)
1Judge not, that you be not judged. 
2For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 

Matthew 7:15-20(NKJV)
15Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 
16You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 
17Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 
18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 
19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 
20Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
-------------------------------------
On the one hand we have a verse that says not to judge.  On the other we are told to beware of false prophets and also that we can tell the difference between good trees and bad by their fruit.  To make those determinations we have to make a judgment as to whether the prophet is a false prophet or not.  We have to distinguish between good fruit and bad.  That also requires a judgment does it not?

To the casual Bible observer this would indicate a contradiction wouldn't it?

Do you remember what I wrote about yesterday?  That we have to "diligently seek" God's wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.  In other words we have to "study" God's word, not just casually read it, to get the full meaning.  We have to take the total balance of what God says throughout the whole Bible to get true understanding in my opinion. 

In the example above it would be bad to be totally judgmental all of the time but it would be equally bad to never exercise judgment at all.  There has to be a balance. 

Let me give you another example.  One of my hobbies is handguns.  I am a concealed weapons instructor.  What does the Bible have to say about self defense? 
------------------------------------------------  
Matthew 5:39(NKJV)
39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 

Luke 22:36(NKJV)
36Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 
------------------------------------------------
In the first example we have Jesus telling us to turn the other cheek and in the second example we have Jesus telling the disciples to arm themselves and if they don't have a sword to sell their garment to buy one.  If you read the full Luke text you will see that Jesus is telling his disciples this so they can defend themselves. 

Does Jesus really want us to sit there and turn or cheek back and forth, back and forth until we have let ourselves be beaten to death?  I personally don't believe a moral God would require us to submit to evil to that extent.  Now you couple that with Jesus telling his disciples to get swords so they can defend themselves and obviously there has to be more to this story.  There has to be a balance.

So folks, as you run across things in God's word that don't make sense to you,  don't let it shake your faith.  God promises that if you diligently seek Him, He will provide Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding!

1 comment:

  1. I've always taken issue with Matthew 7:1 and it's interpretation. Much like the common remembrance of the "thou shall not kill" commandment and how it is actually "Thou shall not murder", this verse comes through to me differently than I often hear people talk about it. In my interpretation, it isn't saying to not judge, it is saying that if you judge someone, you had better be able to pass your own judgement. It falls in line with the "spec in someones eye and the plank in yours" verse. Elsewhere in the Bible it says to not let other Christians stray from God's path. In order to do that you would first have to judge. But if you are judging based on the Bible, what do you have to fear?

    ReplyDelete