Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Do You Ever Just Skip Parts Of the Bible?


I've got to admit that there are some things in the Bible that just bore me to death and I skip over them.  Today is one of those days.

I realize that the Bible speaks to people in different ways at different times.  However there are parts of the Bible that I quite frankly don't understand how they will ever speak to me.  Let me give you an example.

In 1 Kings, King Solomon is finishing up the Temple of the Lord.  He brings in a great bronze worker from Tyre.  Here is a bit of that Scripture.

1 Kings 7:15-18(NKJV)
15And he cast two pillars of bronze, each one eighteen cubits high, and a line of twelve cubits measured the circumference of each. 
16Then he made two capitals of cast bronze, to set on the tops of the pillars. The height of one capital was five cubits, and the height of the other capital was five cubits. 
17He made a lattice network, with wreaths of chainwork, for the capitals which were on top of the pillars: seven chains for one capital and seven for the other capital. 
18So he made the pillars, and two rows of pomegranates above the network all around to cover the capitals that were on top; and thus he did for the other capital.

The detail here is what I don't get.  What am I supposed to learn from all of this detail?  Do I really need to know that there were two rows of bronze pomegranates? 

So when I come to stuff like this, while I have tried to read it in the past I found that my eyes were just scanning the words on the page but it wasn't really registering.  Now I just skip those parts entirely.

As I've written before I think that maybe God threw some stuff in the Bible just to see if we were paying attention.  Is this one of His ways of teaching us discernment?  Learning what is important and what isn't?

I really don't know.  But here is one thing I do know.  That because I have accepted Jesus I have the Holy Spirit to guide me.  He will make sure that I learn what I need to learn when I need to learn it.  Would you like to have that type of guidance? 

Then just ask Jesus to come into your life and guide you as well.  "Dear Jesus…." 

No comments:

Post a Comment