Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Integrity of Heart


I ran across this phrase today and I liked the sound of it.  Integrity of Heart.  As I wrote the other day, God doesn't expect perfection.  Even though we are all saved we know that we all will still sin occasionally.  No way around it. 

What I like about the phrase is that it gives us each a way to judge how we are doing in our walk.  Even though we stumble, is our heart still set on God?  Are we still focused on Him.  Is the desire of our heart still to do God's will?  I think that is what is meant by the phrase "Integrity of Heart". 

In the Bible, God's promises are always conditional as you can see from the following verse.  God promises to do X as long as we do Y.  But God tells us right up front that if we don't do Y then all bets are off. 

1 Kings 9:4-6(NKJV)
4Now if you walk before Me as your father David walked, in integrity of heart and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded you, and if you keep My statutes and My judgments, 
5then I will establish the throne of your kingdom over Israel forever, as I promised David your father, saying, ‘You shall not fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.’ 
6But if you or your sons at all turn from following Me…..

So what happens when we don't do Y?  Sometimes there are consequences and sometimes God lets it slide.  An example would be King David.  He took the consecrated bread for he and his men to eat.  What is the difference between the times there are consequences and the times God lets it slide? 

What the verse above seems to indicate is that one of the things God takes into account is the integrity of our hearts.  Were we and are we really focused on God? 

What is the best way to get and stay focused on God?  By accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior.  Have you done that yet?  Just invite Jesus into your life.  "Dear Jesus…."

No comments:

Post a Comment