Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2016

I've got to disagree with Paul a bit on this one.



1 Corinthians 3:1-4(NKJV)
And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 
I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 
for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 
For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

Here is my disagreement.  Do divisions among the church always indicate that we are "carnal and behaving like men"?  What about those who may be teaching a false doctrine that they believe to be true.  In other words I am not attributing any evil intent to them. 

Should we do as Paul says and sit idly by and let them continue to teach incorrect doctrine so that we are not creating "divisions among us"? 

I believe the answer is no.  Scripture tells us that one of the things it is used for is correction.

2 Timothy 3:16(NKJV)
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 

Correcting people is going to lead to division isn't it?  But if you are basing your correction on Scripture how is that "carnal and behaving like mere men"?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting question you ask here. I have came across this many times and as long as Christ is the center I let it go. Some cases where the teaching differ such as laying of hands for healing. When we practice this in front of another Christian who believes otherwise it caused division, but I still love him.

    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%203:1-4

    ReplyDelete