Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2016

Who you going to listen to?


I believe that Scripture is very clear that when we accept Jesus we get the Holy Spirit to guide us.    As we get used to listening to the Holy Spirit we hear from Him more and more.  At first it was a little disconcerting but I've been listening to Him for so long that it seems perfectly natural. 

I have been amazed repeatedly how He will use the Scriptures to instruct me.  How things that had no special meaning the last time I read them all of a sudden take on new meaning the next time I read them.  It's like having my own personal tutor.  Which brings me to my question regarding this verse.

1 John 2:27(NKJV)
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

You do not need that anyone teach you?  Hmm.  I'll bet there are many who find that statement troubling.  I'm not one of them.  Here is my take on it.

I don't think this means you don't try to listen and learn from other.  I don't think that is the meaning at all.  I think what it is saying is that as we study God's Word, primarily through reading the Scriptures but then reading and listening to others as well; we need to always compare what we hear and read elsewhere with what the Holy Spirit is telling us.

If the two differ, who do we listen to?  Why the Holy Spirit of course!

WE watched Joan of Arc a few months ago and the thing that struck me the most was that the one time when she listened to her church leaders (man) instead of the Holy Spirit was the time that caused her the most anguish.

I think it is a lesson we should all bear in mind.  Always, always, always listen to that inner voice which is the Holy Spirit!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment