Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

"For the poor you will always have…" Why do you think Jesus said that?



Matthew 26:11(NKJV)
For you have the poor with you always, but Me you do not have always. 

I always chuckle when I see church groups state that their goal is to eliminate poverty.  Don't they believe Jesus?  Jesus said we will always have the poor.  Therefor the goal of eliminating poverty is impossible.  Either that or Jesus is wrong. 

But let's dig a little deeper.  Why do you think Jesus said we will always have "the poor"?  I think it has to do with human nature and the human condition.  You are always going to have a segment of the population that just doesn't have to ambition to succeed.  Look at how many people in our country today would rather game the welfare system and live off of public assistance than to actually go out and get a job. 

Also look at all of those who are mentally or physically incapable of living a productive life.  They simply don't have the ability. 

Now does Jesus expect us to treat those two groups that same?  I don't think so.  If you read Matthew 25 I think Jesus makes it pretty clear that those who don't try don't deserve additional assistance.

Matthew 25:24-30(NKJV)
“Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 
And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’
“But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 
So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 
So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 
And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

On the other hand, those who don't have the ability I believe deserve our help.  Does that differentiation make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment