Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

So here's the question. Can there be salvation without repentance?


What triggered the question was this passage. 

Mark 2:17(NKJV)
When Jesus heard it, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinnersto repentance.

So we have Jesus saying specifically that He called sinners to repentance.  On the other hand later in the New Testament we are told that to be saved we need to believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord.  That Jesus is the son of God, that Jesus died on the cross and then rose again on the third day.

Notice what is missing?  Nothing about repentance. 

So back to the initial question.  Can there be salvation without repentance?  My initial answer was no but after thinking it through along with guidance from the Holy Spirit, I believe the correct answer is yes.  Let me explain.

What changed my mind is when the Holy Spirit reminded me of the story where Jesus asks a rich guy a question like what does he think it means to follow Jesus, or something like that.  After the guy answers, Jesus responds "close enough".  That example tells me that Jesus isn't pedantic about the details.  As I have written before, Jesus stresses that it is a heart issue.  As long as the heart is right, even if you get a detail or two wrong, Jesus is still going to be accepting.

Interesting how simply listening to the Holy Spirit can bring clarity so quickly and easily.  Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment