Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2018

I wonder if it is in the translation?


I'm not sure what to make of this.  When I read the whole passage I think I understand what Jesus meant.  However if I isolate just the first two sentences it seems to contradict one of the 10 commandments which causes a big problem because of my belief that God and Jesus are always in agreement.

Read the passage and then I will pick it up on the other side.

Luke 14:25-33(NKJV)
Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 
“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 
And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 
For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it
lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 
saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 
Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 
Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. 
So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.

If Jesus is love, why would He say such a thing?  Doesn't that contradict one of the 10 commandments?  Honor thy mother and father.  Can you honor them and hate them at the same time?

Or could it be something else?  Could it be in the translation?  Sometimes things don’t translate precisely from one language to another.  Could there have been other translation possibilities for the word hate?  For example, the last sentence uses the word forsake.  Substitute forsake for hate and I think it lines up with the rest of the passage quite nicely.  The point being, count the cost and be willing to commit 100% or don't commit at all.

Am I correct in my interpretation?  I don't know.  It's what makes the most sense to me at this time however I am always open to having the Holy Spirit give me revelation knowledge on this or anything else He sees fit to bless me with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment