Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Why do people call Jesus the Prince of Peace when Jesus Himself says that he did come to bring peace?



He not only said it but He said it twice!

Matthew 10:34-39(NKJV)
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 
For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 
and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’  
He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 
And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 
He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Luke 12:49-53(NKJV)
“I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 
But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished! 
Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. 
For from now on five in one house will be divided: three against two, and two against three. 
Father will be divided against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”

Jesus understood that His coming was going to cause division, not unity.  Look how His message was rejected by a majority of the Jewish people.  In the Luke passage Jesus says point blank: "Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. "

So what is the deal with the Prince of Peace stuff?  Did you know that there is only one place in the whole Bible where the term Prince of Peace is used?  It is in Isaiah.

Isaiah 9:6(NKJV)
    For unto us a Child is born,      Unto us a Son is given;     And the government will be upon His shoulder.     And His name will be called     Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,     Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

I have no idea why Isaiah chose to use those words.  It seems to me that in the end times, part of the people will view Jesus as the Prince of Peace and will use the other words above to describe Him, while the other part of the people will not.  Can you guess where I am going with this?
 
That's right.  Those who reject Jesus are going to find eternity anything but peaceful so I doubt they will be thinking of Jesus as the Prince of Peace.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment