Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Is Jesus saying that God doesn't love those who don't love Jesus?



If so then that certainly goes against what many people believe.  Let's take a look.

John 16:25-28(NKJV)
“These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 
In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; 
for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. 
I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.”

BECAUSE

Jesus plainly says that God loves us BECAUSE we loved Jesus and believe that Jesus came from God. 

But does that mean the God doesn't love us if we don't love Jesus and believe that Jesus came from God? 

As I've written before, I don't think you can take any one verse and use it as a definitive statement on anything.  The Bible is a book of balance and needs to be taken in its entirety. 

Here is my take on it.  Scripture makes it very clear that when we reject Jesus we offend God.  In fact Jesus went so far as to say it is a sin to reject Jesus.  Another part of Scripture tells us that when we reject Jesus we declare ourselves enemies of God. 

But even then does God totally cut off His love from those people or does it simply switch to a different love.

Let me give you an example.  I have had more than one client disinherit one of their children.  Does that mean they don't love that child anymore?  Not at all.  But it does mean their love has taken a different form.  They still love the child and hope the child abandons the behavior that got them disinherited in the first place.  But it is a "distant" love if that makes sense. 

This is certainly an issue that bears more study.  

No comments:

Post a Comment