Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The 80-20 Rule

How many of you are familiar with the 80-20 rule?  In most organizations 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.  In your local PTA, 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.  In Little League, 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people, and there's a pretty good chance that it is the same 20% that are doing all the work in PTA as well.

The other 80% say they'd like to help but they just don't have the time, or the dog has diarrhea, or whatever, but there is always a good reason why they can't help.  How is it that 20% of the people can always find the time but the 80% can't?  I'll come back to that.

One of the things that has always attracted me to Valley Family Church is the tremendous leadership that we have in Pastors Jeff and Beth Jones.  (http://www.valleyfamilychurch.org/)  What is so impressive to me as a business owner is that not only are they great leaders but they are equally great at developing leadership in others.  That was never more evident than at last nights dinner.

They had a dinner for about 100-150 people who had been identified  by staff as 20%ers.  Not that there aren't more volunteers than that but these were people identified as people that just naturally stepped up and took on leadership in one way or another.   At this dinner Pastors laid out some of their vision for the future. 

Now here is what I thought was the genius part.  This vision is going to take a lot more volunteer  hours.  Most people would assume that you would need to go to those 80% to get those additional volunteer man hours.  But who did Pastors have at the dinner last night?  The 20%.  Why?  Because they know that these are the people that get things done. 

They had a bunch of organizational charts and descriptions of the areas where there was a need.  They laid out the vision, explained the need and then simply said "Anyone want to help?"  We all had a couple of sticky notes and we could go up and post them on the organizational charts if there was something we were willing to help with. 

Now how many of those 20% do you think were coming up with excuses of why they couldn't do anything more?  There was a card that we filled out indicating where we could help.  On the card there was a box you could check if this volunteering would be instead of what you were doing now.  How many of the 20% do you think checked that box instead of just volunteering to do more?

Now back to the question I posed above.  How is it that 20% of the people can always find the time but the 80% can't?  It's a decision.  It's that simple.  Want to serve God?  Then make a decision to become a 20%er. 

"That's easy for you to say but where am I going to find the time?"  Folks, here is what is cool and if you've never experienced it before your just going to have to have faith (where have you heard that before!).  If you will become one of those who is always the first to raise your hand and volunteer, God will find the time for you.  I don't know how He does it but He does.      

Malachi 3:10(NKJV)
10    Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,     That there may be food in My house,     And try Me now in this,”     Says the Lord of hosts,     “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven     And pour out for you such blessing     That there will not be room enough to receive it.

I believe our tithe is more than just money, it also includes our time.  And what does God promise us in Malachi?  Overflowing blessings if we will honor Him with our tithe.  Here is what I love about this verse.  God says "And try me on this".  It's the only place I know of in the Bible where God says "I dare ya, I double dog dare ya.  Put me to the test!"

Folks, I dare you to put God to the test in regards to the tithe of your time.  Become one of the 20%ers and see if your life isn't blessed to overflowing!

 (I realize that in the Gospels Jesus tells us we aren't to put God to the test but in this case it's a direct dare from God so I figure it is OK)

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post. Everyone is busy. If you don't make time, you're not going to have time. If we make a commitment to God and tithe our time, he isn't going to prevent us from it happening! God is going to help us make the time! So often I know I don't want to add another thing to my weekly schedule b/c I want time to relax...but when you're adding in something that is serving God and others, you're going to receive overflowing blessings and be glad you didn't just sit at home "relaxing"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. The reason we want to relax is that we want to rejuvinate. We as you and I know, we can get just as much rejuvination if not more from sewrving others than we can from just relaxing.

    ReplyDelete