Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

What Are You Bound By and Why the Heck Do You Allow It?

Let me set the stage for you.  Paul  has just been seized in Jerusalem.  The Roman guard is taking him into custody.  He asks for permission to address the crowd that has called for his arrest.  He is giving his testimony to the crowd.

Acts 22:17-29(NKJV)
17“Now it happened, when I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, that I was in a trance 
18and saw Him saying to me, ‘Make haste and get out of Jerusalem quickly, for they will not receive your testimony concerning Me.’ 
19So I said, ‘Lord, they know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believe on You. 
20And when the blood of Your martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by consenting £to his death, and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.’ 
21Then He said to me, ‘Depart, for I will send you far from here to the Gentiles.’”
22And they listened to him until this word, and then they raised their voices and said, “Away with such a fellow from the earth, for he is not fit to live!” 
23Then, as they cried out and tore off their clothes and threw dust into the air, 
24the commander ordered him to be brought into the barracks, and said that he should be examined under scourging, so that he might know why they shouted so against him. 
25And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said to the centurion who stood by, “Is it lawful for you to scourge a man who is a Roman, and uncondemned?”
26When the centurion heard that, he went and told the commander, saying, “Take care what you do, for this man is a Roman.”
27Then the commander came and said to him, “Tell me, are you a Roman?” He said, “Yes.”
28The commander answered, “With a large sum I obtained this citizenship.” And Paul said, “But I was born a citizen.”
29Then immediately those who were about to examine him withdrew from him; and the commander was also afraid after he found out that he was a Roman, and because he had bound him.

Here's a question.  What are you bound by and why the heck do you allow it?

Let's take a closer look at Paul's response and how we can use it in our lives.  The first thing I have to point out is that things must have been really different back then.  I have never been in a crowd that got so angry that everyone started tearing off their clothes.  What the heck is that all about?  :)

Here's what I really want to focus on.  Paul is being seized and the commander has just suggested that they tie Paul up and beat the snot out of him to get to the truth.  Does Paul sit there and take it?  Heck no.  He took action, he wasn't passive.  He appealed to a higher authority. 

He knows that there is a higher authority that, because he is a member of a certain group affords him extra rights and protections.  And notice he doesn't just kind of think he might have some extra protection, HE KNOWS.  Now look at  the reaction of those who were seizing Paul. 

29Then immediately those who were about to examine him withdrew from him; and the commander was also afraid after he found out that he was a Roman, and because he had bound him.

Folks, you ever have one of those "Oh crap" moments?  I think that would best describe what these people experienced.  Notice that even the boss was afraid because he knew immediately that he had screwed up.  That's the type of higher authority that I'm talking about.

Can you guess where I'm going with this?  Do we belong to a group that affords us extra rights and protections?  If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior you do. 

If you feel bound or under attack by anything, don't just sit there and take it.  Appeal to the higher authority of Jesus, and appeal with confidence and certainty that He will help you.  Take action and ask for his help to get unbound!

And if you haven't yet asked Jesus to be Lord of your life why don't you do it right now?  Just simply pray something like this.  "Jesus I don't really get all of this but I sure could use some help.  Please take over and be the Lord of my life.  Thank you for dying for my sins and please help me learn to depend on you."  If you prayed that prayer or something similar now or in the past you can rest assured that you are entitled to appeal to the higher authority of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment