Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

What Seems to Bug God the Most?

As many of you know, I spend time in the OT and the NT most everyday.  I love the contrast that I get from the two.  I love the history of the OT.  I think we can learn a lot about the character of God in the OT.

When I finish either the OT or the NT I just go right back to the beginning and start over.  That is where I am now.  I just finished Genesis and I am on chapter 2 of Exodus.  One of the things that has really been enhancing my studies this time through is using Yahoo to get deeper understanding of what I am reading.  As I read that Jacob went from here to there I actually look those places up on maps so I have a better understanding. 

As an example in Exodus Moses flees Egypt for Midian.  Anyone know where Midain is?  It's to the east of the Jordan River in what today would be southern Jordan or northern Saudi Arabia.  The internet is just so cool for this kind of things.

Anyway one of the things that occurred to me today is that I think there are a couple of things that tick God off more than others.  Now I know that goes a bit against what we are taught, that God hates all sin the same.  Now intellectually that may be true but I think realistically there are probably some things that bug God more than others. 

Why do I think that?  As I've written before we are made in the image of God and so I think we get a lot of our characteristics from God.  I know that there are some things that bug me more than others and I think most people are the same way.  Let me give you an example.  We know that murder is wrong.  We don't like it when people murder other people but I especially don't like it when people murder children.

The other reason I think this is by looking at God's reaction to different things.  There are some things that He will overlook for a while.  Some things you get a chance to correct.  But there seem to be other things that God won't overlook or give a second chance on.  

The first thing that I think especially ticks God off is the worship of idols and other Gods.  God sent His people into captivity for hundreds of years because their country had become overrun with the high places and idols, etc.  God gave them chances to change but when the wouldn't the punishment was harsh!  

The second thing that I think really ticks God off is when He takes the time to communicate with us directly and then we turn around and not do what He told us to do.  The example I would use there is Saul.  In a certain battle God told Saul specifically to kill every man, woman, child, and beast.  Saul didn't follow God's instructions and God immediately told Saul that he would be stripped of his kingdom.

So as you follow your walk with God be vigilant that you worship only Him and for goodness sake if God takes the time to communicate directly with you, Do What He Says!

No comments:

Post a Comment