Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Sabbath Day


 
Deuteronomy 5:12-14(NKJV)
12 ‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. 
13Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 
14but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. 

Does it have to be Sunday?  Or is there a larger principal here? 

First let me say that what I am going to say is probably more opinion than Scriptural.  I think it is the concept that is important and that God probably doesn't really give a rip what day we rest on. 

Too me the principal that we need to recharge by resting from our work is what is important here.  I don't think it necessarily means rest in the sense of doing nothing.

Let me give you an example.  I'm a financial planner by profession.  Lot's of research.  Lot's of analysis.  Lot's of talking with people.  Lot's of desk work.  No physical labor. 

One of the things I do occasionally is participate in the Action Team at church.  We do house repairs and things like that for people.  It's fun to take a Friday off and spend the day doing really manual labor repairing houses.  Not very restful in the traditional sense but immensely beneficial in the sense that it gives me a break from my normal routine.   

So my suggestion is don't get hung up on the day but do remember to rest in whatever way is most refreshing and beneficial to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment