Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012

I've Got To Work?


I'm going to write about something today that has taken me a while to put together but I just feel that today God is telling me it is time to tackle it.  This isn't something that I ever remember being taught in church but I keep running across Scriptures that I just can't ignore.  So if this differs from what you've been taught I would encourage you to not take my word for it but study it yourself.

Let's look at this Scripture.

Revelation 22:12-13(NKJV)
12“And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 
13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the £Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”

Our reward in Heaven is going to be in proportion to the work we do on behalf of God?  I was always taught that my salvation was by faith and that works had nothing to do with it.  And that is true.  Here is where I was getting mixed up.

I was equating my salvation with my reward in Heaven.  Thinking that they were one in the same.  I have come to the conclusion that while they are related they are not necessarily the same. 

Our salvation is indeed based on faith and our works have absolutely nothing to do with that.  I want to be perfectly clear on that point.  Accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior is the only thing that gets us into Heaven.  Were are you on that decision?  Have you accepted Jesus yet?  If not, why not do it now?  Have a conversation with Jesus right now.  "Dear Jesus…..".

In essence accepting Jesus is the minimum.  It gets us in the door of Heaven so to speak.  Where I now believe my understanding was lacking was thinking that once we got to Heaven we would all be treated equally and we would all get the same reward. 

But as you can see from the Scripture above, Jesus himself said that He would be rewarding people according to their works.  If this was the only place in the Bible that said that then I would probably not think that much of it.  It's one of those things that just has to be taken in balance.  But it's not the only place in the Bible where it says that.  Take a look at a couple of other examples.

Revelation 2:23(NKJV)
23I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.

Jeremiah 32:19-20(NKJV)
19You are great in counsel and mighty in work, for your eyes are open to all the ways of the sons of men, to give everyone according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings. 
20You have set signs and wonders in the land of Egypt, to this day, and in Israel and among other men; and You have made Yourself a name, as it is this day. 

It appears to me that our actual rewards in Heaven will be determined by the work we do for the Kingdom while we are still here on earth.  Those that accept Christ but then never really attempt to get to know Him by being in the Word, going to church, serving, etc will go to Heaven but their rewards in Heaven may be a bit skimpy.  Those that go all out for God while they are here can expect to live in a better Heavenly zip code if you will.

Let me give another reason I have come to this view.  Take a look at this passage from Matthew.

Matthew 20:20-23(NKJV)
20Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Him with her sons, kneeling down and asking something from Him.
21And He said to her, “What do you wish?” She said to Him, “Grant that these two sons of mine may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on the left, in Your kingdom.”
22But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, £and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” They said to Him, “We are able.”
23So He said to them, “You will indeed drink My cup, £and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with; but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father.

Here we have Jesus telling the lady that there are certain honors in Heaven that even Jesus can't give out.  They are reserved for whom God favors.  So even here we see that not everyone will be treated equally in Heaven.  There will be a hierarchy. 

So what is the takeaway from this lesson?  Accepting Jesus Christ is the single most important thing you can do to get into Heaven and it is only dependent on your faith.  However once you've accepted Jesus, go nuts in all that you do for God.  The more you do for Him the better it is going to be in Heaven!  You can have an average Heavenly experience or you can have a superb Heavenly experience, you choose!

3 comments:

  1. I've had this thought for a while now and it seems weird to me because its counter to what I remember from my childhood. Yet, it makes sense to me. I think this is part of the reason non-Christians see Christians as inconsistent. We talk about works not saving us, yet they can see that the Bible talks about our works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had always kinda wondered what role works did play in our life in heaven. I knew that works mattered but that they weren't the thing that got us to heaven and gave us our salvation. This really helps tie it all together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I know what you mean. That is why it took so long for me to write about it. It just seemed so odd to what I had been taught.

    Leah, Glad that help complete the picture.

    ReplyDelete