Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2013

You've Got To Own Your Faith


What do I mean by that?  Let me try and explain it with an illustration from my own life. 

I was raised in a luke warm Christian home.  What I mean by that is that while my Mom had accepted Christ I never saw her actually read the Bible on her own and we hardly ever went to church.  So in the early years my faith was really whatever my parents led me to or didn't lead me to.

However I really liked church and so I remember back as young as 4th or 5th grade having my Mom take me and drop me off at church each week even though none of the rest of the family went.  That is an example of taking ownership of my faith.

Then a few years later I really started to take my Bible out and read it for myself.  I started asking questions.  I started letting the Holy Spirit guide me in my studies.  I think I personally accepted Christ in the 7th or 8th grade.  These again are examples of taking ownership of my faith.  It wasn't just something my parents made me do, it was something that I actually took an interest in and pursued.      

That pursuit is a very important element of our relationship with God.  We are told in the Bible that the more we seek God, the more He will reveal to us.  Pursuit is just another way of saying seeking God.

Why is this so important?  Take a look.

2 Chronicles 24:1-2(NKJV)
1Joash was seven years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Zibiah of Beersheba. 
2Joash did what was right in the sight of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest. 

I've highlighted what I think is the important phrase.  Joash did the right things as long as Jehoiada was there to guide him.  Now look what happened as soon as Jehoiada died. 

2 Chronicles 24:15-19(NKJV)
15But Jehoiada grew old and was full of days, and he died; he was one hundred and thirty years old when he died. 
16And they buried him in the City of David among the kings, because he had done good in Israel, both toward God and His house.
17Now after the death of Jehoiada the leaders of Judah came and bowed down to the king. And the king listened to them. 
18Therefore they left the house of the Lord God of their fathers, and served wooden images and idols; and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem because of their trespass. 
19Yet He sent prophets to them, to bring them back to the Lord; and they testified against them, but they would not listen.

Joash the King failed to provide the leadership that he was supposed to supply to his people.  He let the people go astray.  The King didn't truly own his faith.  And because he didn't truly own his faith, when push came to shove, the King had no real conviction.

So how do you own your faith?  First and foremost by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior.  Have you don’t that yet?  If not, why not do that right now?  Just have a little conversation with Jesus and let Him know how He can help you in your life.  "Dear Jesus….".

The next thing is to actively seek God through prayer  and the reading and studying of God's Word.  How often?  Daily or as often as possible short of that. 

Are you a bad person if you miss a day or two?  No not at all!   God seems to understands that life gets busy and things come up.  I think what is important to God is to see us putting in an effort to make Him a priority in our lives.  That is taking ownership of your faith!

2 comments:

  1. How fitting since BSF just started back up yesterday evening! It makes me even more excited to study Matthew this year and know that by taking ownership, I'm going to be blessed with learning more about Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I always loved the group discussions at BSF!

    ReplyDelete