Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2013

Know Your Rights!!!


This blog is read in 15 countries around the world.  Unfortunately what I write today may seem particularly American.  Sorry about that.

I think it is vital that we all understand our laws and know our rights.  There are many Christians that think we should always just acquiesce and not question authority.  If government says that is the way it is, then we should just shut our mouths and accept it. 

Let's see if Scripture gives us any guidance on this.

Acts 25:9-12(NKJV)
9But Festus, wanting to do the Jews a favor, answered Paul and said, “Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and there be judged before me concerning these things?”
10So Paul said, “I stand at Caesar’s judgment seat, where I ought to be judged. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you very well know. 
11For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar.
12Then Festus, when he had conferred with the council, answered, “You have appealed to Caesar? To Caesar you shall go!”

In this example Paul knows that the Jews are trying to railroad him.  Does he sit there and take it?  Nope.  What happens?  Paul clearly knows his rights and he exercises them.  He doesn't just sit there and go off like a lamb to slaughter (that part has already been played!)

I think that is a good lesson for us all to learn.  We need to try and be agreeable and get along with all but we don't have to sit there and take it if someone tries to violate our rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment