Search This Blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

"Kiss the Son, lest He be angry…"


I have written in the past about this mistaken belief in Kumbaya Jesus.  This belief that it is a live and let live decision and that if you chose not to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior there are no consequences. 

Now just to be clear, I believe that each and every person who calls on the name of Jesus Christ will be saved.  However I believe Scripture also tells us quite clearly that if we reject Jesus, there will be hell to pay, literally.  

Here is my reading from Psalm 2 this morning. 

Psalms 2:5-12(NKJV)
5    Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,     And distress them in His deep displeasure:
6    “Yet I have set My King     On My holy hill of Zion.”
7    “I will declare the decree:      The Lord has said to Me,     ‘You are My Son,     Today I have begotten You.
8    Ask of Me, and I will give You     The nations for Your inheritance,     And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
9    You shall £break them with a rod of iron;     You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’”
10    Now therefore, be wise, O kings;      Be instructed, you judges of the earth.
11    Serve the Lord with fear,     And rejoice with trembling.
12    £Kiss the Son, lest £He be angry,     And you perish in the way,     When His wrath is kindled but a little.      Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.

 I love the interplay here between God and Jesus.  God first tells Jesus that He (God) is setting Jesus up with His (Jesus') Kingdom on Earth. 

Then you have Jesus answering that He (Jesus) will declare on Earth exactly what God has told Jesus to declare.

Then God tells Jesus that He (Jesus) can have anything He wants.  Verse 9 is one that really caught my eye.  It is God telling two of the reasons He (God) is sending Jesus to Earth.  You'll notice that both have to do with destroying, not loving people.  Who is the "them" that God is talking about?  I believe it is those who reject Jesus. 

Notice verse 12.  "Kiss the Son, lest He be angry".  I don't know how much clearer the Bible can be on this point.  What happens if you don't "kiss the Son"?  The Son (Jesus) gets angry.  Not oh kumbaya, live and let live.  Nope.  Scripture tells us that to not accept Jesus makes Him angry. 

It's funny but it seems like everyone wants to claim the blessings of Jesus without making the commitment necessary to secure those blessing.    But who does Scripture identify as qualifying for those privileges?  Those who put their trust in Him, those who accept Him.  And thus by extension, those who reject Him don't qualify for those blessings. 

So how do you make sure you qualify for those blessings?  Simple.  Ask Jesus to come into your heart and guide you.  Ask Jesus to take control of your life.  Just have a conversation with Jesus and let Him know what you are looking for.  "Dear Jesus…."

2 comments:

  1. When I first read the passage, it seemed a bit confusing. I really liked how you picked it apart, piece by piece, and explained what was going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its one of the hard things about understanding the Bible. Too many back and forths of him and he and whatever so that you lose track of exactly who is being referred to. :)

    ReplyDelete