Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Run the race to win!


1 Corinthians 9:24-27(NKJV)
24Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 
25And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 
26Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 
27But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

I've always loved these passages.  What a great exhortation to be the very best that we can be.  There is nothing wrong with being a competitor.  It is good and it is healthy in my opinion.  Competing against the best makes everyone better. 

Now obviously there are some caveats here.  I think the main issue is that we have to approach competition and being the best in a positive way.  What I mean by that is that we focus on the things that we can do to make ourselves and others better.  What I am not talking about is a ruthless competition that tears others down and destroys to win.

I think that the verses  above do a pretty good job of portraying that.  It talks about self control and training, etc.  All positive things.

Now when should we run the race to win?  All the time!  In all things!

Remember I am equating "run to win" with striving for excellence.    So if it is our work, strive to be the best at what we do.  If it is witnessing, strive to be that best at sharing our beliefs with others.  If it is caring for the poor, be the best at it.  If it is parenting, again working hard to be the best.

We serve a God of excellence.  We are made in His image.  Does that mean He made us perfect?  Nope!  But I think it does mean the we owe it to God to strive to be as much like Him as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment