Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016

Where is the line between faith and taking for granted?


Does anyone else ever question this?  I know I sure do.  Let me explain.

My faith is a pretty simple faith.  I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God.  I believe that God is who He says He is and I believe that Jesus is who He says He is.  I believe that you have to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior to get to Heaven.  And lastly for now, I believe that God and Jesus will personally intervene in and guide our lives in even the smallest decisions if we will only seek them and let them.  I believe all of this based on two things.

The first thing I base it on is what I read in Scripture.  The second thing I base it on is personal life experience.  I have experienced it in my own life on a daily basis.  Just last week for example I had a decision to make on the 21st.  When I got up that morning I was still unsure of what that decision should be. 

That is highly unusual because I have a very strong faith and I just assume that God provides me with the guidance as I need it.  He ALWAYS comes through.  I'll come back to the assume part in a minute. 

So it was unusual that I didn't have the answer at the start of the morning.  I didn't panic though because I knew that God would come through.  If you look back you will see my blog that morning was titled "It's all in the details".  The answer that I was seeking was in the lesson that morning.  It was a different lesson than what I wrote about but the lesson was in there. 

So let's go back to the assume part.  I believe that faith is like a muscle.  The more you use it, exercise it so to speak, the stronger it gets.  Does that make sense?  So the more I live by faith the easier it is to live by faith. 

Again it is a simple faith.  God says He has me covered and I believe Him.  I don't spend a lot of my prayer time asking for anything other than God's guidance on a daily basis and I make sure to thank and praise Him for that guidance.  And I EXPECT to receive it.  It just never even enters my mind that God won't be guiding me. 

And that is what prompts the question.  I worry sometimes that I take God for granted.  But isn't that exactly what God tells us to do?  Don't worry about things, just lay it all at God's feet in faith? 

So far the answer I keep getting from God when I ask whether I am acting in faith or taking Him for granted is what seems to be a small chuckle and something like "Dude, as long as you keep asking that question it shows me your heart is right.  I'm sure you are fine for now". 

I think implicit in that answer is a friendly reminder not to stop asking the question.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment