Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

"…I should not call any man common or unclean." Never???


Here is a verse that I think is ripe for misunderstanding.  Take a look at these first verses and then we will contrast and compare it to another verse. 

Acts 10:24-29(NKJV)
And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends. 
As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 
But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 
And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. 
Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. 
Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?”

Here is a verse that I think gets misused in the same way that thou shall not judge is misused.  Here is what I mean by that.  There are many who like to use the "thou shall not judge" as a shield.  Well as I have documented in the past thou shall not judge is only one verse.  There are many verses where Jesus Himself tells us to make judgements. 

I think we see the same type of thing with this verse.  "Hey he is one of God's children.  You can't call him unclean!".  That type of thing. 

Now take a look at these verses and then I'll tell you what I think the whole thing means.

Acts 13:9-11(NKJV)
Then Saul, who also is called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him 
and said, “O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord? 
And now, indeed, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time.” And immediately a dark mist fell on him, and he went around seeking someone to lead him by the hand. 

Umm, isn't Paul kind of calling this person unclean?  "You son of the devil" seems to fall in that category to me.  So is Paul committing a sin here?  Is he going against God's word?

Not at all in my opinion.  In the first case I think it is more of a general don't prejudge people type of thing.  Take God's word to all people and give them a chance at Salvation.  Don't leave out the Greeks.  Don't leave out the Samaritans, etc. 

On the other hand when someone provides evidence of their "uncleanness" I don't believe God has a problem with us calling things as we see them.  Jesus was always telling us to compare the fruit.  Isn't that just another way of Jesus saying hey contrast the good with the bad, the clean with the unclean; based on the evidence provided?

Does that difference make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment