Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Triumph of Common Sense


John 9:24-33(NKJV)
24So they again called the man who was blind, and said to him, “Give God the glory! We know that this Man is a sinner.”
25He answered and said, “Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.
26Then they said to him again, “What did He do to you? How did He open your eyes?”
27He answered them, “I told you already, and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become His disciples?”
28Then they reviled him and said, “You are His disciple, but we are Moses’ disciples. 
29We know that God spoke to Moses; as for this fellow, we do not know where He is from.”
30The man answered and said to them, “Why, this is a marvelous thing, that you do not know where He is from; yet He has opened my eyes! 
31Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. 
32Since the world began it has been unheard of that anyone opened the eyes of one who was born blind. 
33If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing.”

I have long been a fan of common sense.  Book learning is fine and it is important but sometimes there is nothing like common sense. 

We've all heard the story (not sure if it really happened or not) of the big truck the gets wedged and stuck under a bridge.   They bring in all kinds of experts.  Wreckers and cranes and they can't get the truck unstuck.  A kid walks over and simply lets the air out of the tires of the truck.  Lowers it enough that they can just back the truck out from under the bridge.  Pretty cool!

Where do we get common sense?  I think it is a combination of our book learning and then our life experiences.  I don't know why but some people are better than others at melding those two facets of their lives to reach conclusions that escape others.  That's the "common sense quotient".  (Think I  should trademark that phrase?  LOL) 

Can it be taught?  I think to a certain extent it can.  One of my first jobs out of high school was reconditioning used cars.  The mechanics used to get such a kick out of me.  I provided the entertainment.  They would watch me struggle on a project and then after I finally finish it one of them would walk over and say "Hey did you ever think of doing it this way?" , and they would all laugh and laugh! 

That taught me to stop and think through a project before starting.  Two reason.  First it helped me find quicker and easier ways to accomplish the task.  Second, I don't like looking stupid!  Some might think their laughing at me was cruel but I've got to say it worked on me.

OK, back on track.  What I love about the scripture above is the triumph of common sense over book learning.  Look at the first part.  The Pharisees (book smart and legalistic) ask this guy if the person who healed him was a sinner or not.  Let me paraphrase his response.  Don't know, don't care, here is what I do know, He fixed me!

He's just a regular guy.  He doesn’t know all of that technical stuff.  He just knows he is fixed.  He had a life experience with this guy named Jesus.  He doesn't know all of the ins and outs of the thing.  He doesn't know that Isaiah prophesied about Jesus?  He doesn't know that the book f Daniel also predicts His coming.  All he knows is that this Jesus guy just did something for him that no one else has ever been able to do for him his whole life.  That's what he knows, and he knows it beyond a shadow of a doubt!  Why?  Because he lived it. 

The Pharisees continue to try and cast doubt.  Then the guys simply walks them through his common sense logic, step by step. 

1Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. 
32Since the world began it has been unheard of that anyone opened the eyes of one who was born blind. 
33If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing.”

So here is my question for you.  What is it that makes you know that you know that you know? 

For me it is a couple of things.  It's looking back in amazement at all of the seemingly unrelated events and how they have brought me to where I am today.  It's being able to talk to God and experience that peace that passes all understanding.  That peace that while all external indications tell you that you are screwed, you can smile because deep down you know that it is going to work out.  It's experiencing God guiding me through that little voice deep inside me.

Spend some time thinking about what it is that makes you know and then give God a smile and thank Him because that is worth more than all the book learning in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment