Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2012

Thank You Warriors on this Memorial Day Weekend!


I first wrote this on Veterans Day 2011 but it is just as applicable as ever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
On this 2012 Memorial  Day Weekend I would like to salute all of our military service people, past and present and thank you and your families for the sacrifices you make on our behalf.  There are many in this country who still value and honor your service.

I hope you know that according to God's word, you hold a special place in His heart as well.         If you look through the Bible, God has accomplished many great things though His use of warriors.  Let's take a look at some of God's favorite warriors .

Joshua - After Moses had led the Jewish people through the desert for 40 years, who did God choose to lead His people to take possession of the land God had promised them?  Joshua.  Why?  Because they were going to have to go in and take the land that God had promised them and Joshua was one of only two people that  actually thought they could do it because God had promised them that they would succeed.

Here is what God had to say about Joshua.

Numbers 27:18(NKJV)
18And the Lord said to Moses: “Take Joshua the son of Nun with you, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him; 

God saw Joshua, a warrior, as a man in whom is the Spirit.

Gideon - Gideon was another warrior who found favor with God.  Although reluctant at first, once he was convinced that he was indeed called by God, Gideon threw himself into serving God as a warrior.  Gideon went on to win many victories for God.

One of the other great things about Gideon is that he never lost his focus on God.  Even though Gideon had achieved great success on the battlefield he didn't let it go to his head.  When the men of Israel tried to convince Gideon to rule over them, he told them no and that they needed to look to God.

Judges 8:22-23(NKJV)
22Then the men of Israel said to Gideon, “Rule over us, both you and your son, and your grandson also; for you have delivered us from the hand of Midian.”
23But Gideon said to them, “I will not rule over you, nor shall my son rule over you; the Lord shall rule over you.” 

King David - King David started out as a simple shepherd boy who had the audacity to actually believe that God would help David defeat the Philistine giant Goliath, in order to uphold God's honor. 

Here is what God had to say about King David. 

1 Samuel 13:14(NKJV)
14But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought for Himself a man after His own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be commander over His people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.”

That's right, God called David - a warrior, a man after God's own heart.

I particularly love the way David looks to God for his strength, guidance and safety. 

Psalms 18:1-3(NKJV)
1    I will love You, O Lord, my strength.
2    The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;     My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;     My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
3    I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;     So shall I be saved from my enemies.

Psalms 18:17-19(NKJV)
17    He delivered me from my strong enemy,     From those who hated me,     For they were too strong for me.
18    They confronted me in the day of my calamity,     But the Lord was my support.
19    He also brought me out into a broad place;     He delivered me because He delighted in me.

Psalms 18:29-35(NKJV)
29    For by You I can run against a troop,     By my God I can leap over a wall.
30    As for God, His way is perfect;     The word of the Lord is proven;     He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
31    For who is God, except the Lord?      And who is a rock, except our God?
32    It is God who arms me with strength,     And makes my way perfect.
33    He makes my feet like the feet of deer,     And sets me on my high places.
34    He teaches my hands to make war,     So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
35    You have also given me the shield of Your salvation;      Your right hand has held me up,     Your gentleness has made me great.

Psalms 18:50(NKJV)
50    Great deliverance He gives to His king,      And shows mercy to His anointed,     To David and his descendants forevermore.

Even though King David had many faults and weaknesses, God thought so highly of this warrior King  that God's ultimate plan of salvation through Jesus Christ was descended from King David's lineage.

So warriors, you stand in good stead in God's plan.  My prayer is that God will continue to wrap His protective arms around you.  Thank you again for your service!

No comments:

Post a Comment