Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Can a man be profitable to God?


 
Job 22:2(NKJV)
2    “Can a man be profitable to God,      Though he who is wise may be profitable to himself?

Interesting question isn't it?  In the book of Job, the guy who makes this statement seems to think that, no, man cannot be profitable to God.  His reasoning seems to be that God is so much greater than man that we can't be profitable to God.  (at least that is what I got out of it)

I respectfully disagree.  Let me illustrate first in a general way and then specifically and then I will end with a question and a challenge.

First the general.  Let's use the example of me and the ownership of a gold coin.  In the context of what we are talking about here I think all would agree that I am much greater than that gold coin.  I can think, I can reason, I can build things, I can create things.  What can the coin do?  Nothing but sit there until I do something with it.

But just because I am greater does, that mean that I don't get value from owning that coin?  Not at all.  The coin counts as one of my assets.  Therefore it is profitable to me.

Now let's look at the specific.  There is no denying that God created everything.  But does he own everything?  No.  Could he own everything if He wanted to?  No.

No?  I'll bet you are wondering how I can say that.  Because God has given man free will and God being a just God doesn't change the rules mid stream just to get what He wants.

What is the thing that God most desires?  According to Scripture it is that the lost be saved.  And here is where free will comes in.  Each and every human on earth has the free will to say no and many do.  So no matter how bad God wants it, He doesn't have to power to get it.

So how do people become saved?  For many it is through the testimony of others who are already saved.  I know that technically it is through accepting Jesus but what I am talking about here is the method through which many people are brought to the point that they accept Jesus and it is usually through the influence of others.

So here is how I believe we are profitable to God.  We are one of the biggest  means by which God increases the number of people in His Kingdom.  We help increase God's assets if you will, which makes us profitable to God.  Make sense?

So here is my question?  Would God consider you profitable to Him?  Are you testifying and leading others to Christ? 

"But it's scary."  "But I would know what to say."  "But," "But," "But."

It doesn't have to be.  No one is asking you to memorize the Bible first.  No one is asking you to get up and give a sermon to a 1000 people.  As I have written many times, I think the most effective way to lead others to Christ is to just share in a heartfelt and honest way what Jesus has done in your life.  That doesn't even really take a single bit of Scripture memorization.

You never know the impact you will have if you just honestly share.  This lesson was brought home to me over the Christmas holidays this year.  I had a friend pull me aside at church and thank me.  I didn't really know what for.  Well last year after getting home from church on Christmas morning where we helped make Christmas dinner for a couple thousand people, I posted on Facebook how proud I was of my church for doing something like that.

 My friend and his family were unhappy with their current church and feeling disconnected from God.  He said that post caught his eye and he thought to himself that that was the type of church he would like to belong to.  A church that was actually reaching out and making a difference.  They came to our church and have been coming ever since.  He said that have never felt more connected with God and with each other as they are now.  He just wanted to thank me for being a part of making that happen.  I am humbled to have played a part.

Do you think God counts that as profitable to Him?

So you see folks, you don't have to preach at people to be profitable to God.  Just share in a heartfelt way what God is doing for you or what you are doing for him and you can be profitable to God as well.

Now the challenge.  Let's all go out and try to be more profitable for God than we have ever been before!

No comments:

Post a Comment