Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

God Hated Esau? I thought God didn't hate!


One of the things I enjoy about Facebook are all of the pithy little sayings that people post.  You see a lot of them related to faith.  One of the things that drives me nuts though are pithy little sayings that sound Biblical but have no actual basis in Scripture.  Here is one of them.

"Faith is not a Christian value."

Sounds good but is not Scripturally correct.  How can I say that?  Follow along.

Before I continue let me make perfectly clear that I am not suggesting that we go around hating people.  I think the Christian faith is still a faith predominantly about love.  But I don't believe that it is necessarily un-Christian to hate something or someone. 

Malachi 1:2-3(NKJV)
2    “I have loved you,” says the Lord.      “Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’     Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?”     Says the Lord.     “Yet Jacob I have loved;
3    But Esau I have hated,     And laid waste his mountains and his heritage     For the jackals of the wilderness.”

Scripture clearly tells us that there are things and people that God Himself hated.  Here is one example.  Many will say "yeah but that is Old Testament stuff.  Jesus is all about love." 

Jesus doesn't cancel out God.  Scripture tells us that God and Jesus are in 100% agreement.  Therefore Jesus is OK with God hating certain things and people.  Now if Jesus is OK with it, how can we say it isn't Christian?

Now again, I'm not saying that we should make a habit of it.  But it isn't necessarily un-Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment