Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2014

Do We Ask For It or Just Let God Decide?


This is an issue that I wonder about.  Do we need to ask God specifically for things or can we just say "God I'm good with whatever you want to send my way"?  I can show you Scripture that points both ways.  I ran across this one today.

Romans 8:26-27(NKJV)
26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession £for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 
27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

On the other hand I think it was Pastor Beth who did a sermon recently and talked about the need to be specific in our prayers and she backed it up with Scripture.  So where does that leave us?

I don't know about the rest of you but here is how I handle it.  I still subscribe to the Solomon approach.  God just please give me wisdom and knowledge and guide me.  I've asked God to guide my life and use me in any way He would like.  I have such a strong faith and belief that God is on it that I almost feel like asking for anything specific is showing a lack of faith in God being on the job. 

God knows what I need before I do.  He doesn't need to be reminded of it.  I don't need to plead with God.  I don't need to cajole God.  If He wants me to have it, do it, or whatever, I have no doubt that He will let me know.  Does that make sense?

I'm not saying that this is the way that everyone should do it.  It's just what works for me.  My suggestion is let the Holy Spirit be your guide.  How do I know that this is the right way for me, at least right now?  Because I am at peace with the issue.  The Holy Spirit is letting me know it is OK.

Does that mean it will always be like this?  Maybe, maybe not.  I am always listening and if God wants me to change directions, He'll let me know.  Until then I'll continue with the Solomon approach.  

2 comments:

  1. I thought you did a blog about prayer and petition a while back. The verse that comes to mind is Philippians 4:6

    Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

    If I remember correctly, you stressed that you should be specific in your requests-like a petition. You went on to say that once you have asked for that specific thing, you don't have to keep asking God for it...He heard you the first time! Rather, thank Him for the ways he is working to answer that pray according to His plan.

    I think there should be a balance of both petitioning to God for specific things but also trusting Him to provide what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memory Sweetie. You are correct and that is pretty much what I said. I have just found that as I tried to do that it is unnatural for me. It's different than what my relationship with God has been all my life. At first I felt a little guilty about that but then it was as if God said "Did I ever say to you that things weren't working and needed to change?"

    We just finished the Get a Grip On Giving class at church and Scripture tells us that we all have different skills and gifts given to us according to God's plan. I imagine that is also true about the way we all relate to and pray to God, that is to say, differently.

    So instead of feeling bad about it and trying to change I decided to listen to God and let it flow. If He wants me to change things I figure He'll let me know. He always has in the past! :)

    ReplyDelete