Search This Blog

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Contradictions? In the Bible?



One of the things that drives me nuts is pretending that there are no contradictions in the Bible.  I think that just damages our credibility to claim that contradictions aren't there when they are. 

What I have found however is that many times we can learn from the contradictions.  As you know, when we accept Christ we receive the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is there to guide us.  One of the things He does is help us discern what we read in the Bible. 

Now if everything word in the Bible is 100% true, what is there for us to discern?  I think that is part of why there is some confusing and contradictory stuff in there.

Anyway here is what caught my attention.  In Psalms we have the following verse.

Psalms 19:7(NKJV)
7    The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;      The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;

But in Galatians it says this:

Galatians 3:13(NKJV)
13Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” £), 

Now one of the Scriptures is from the OT and the other is from the NT.  But remember that Scripture also tells us that God and Jesus are 100% in agreement. 
 
So how is it that God's law can be described as both perfect and a curse? 

If you read further in Galatians you will get a glimpse of the answer.  I'm not fully satisfied with the answer but I believe that is where patience and faith come in. 

I have no doubt whatsoever that when the time is right, God, through the Holy Spirit, will make sure I know what I need to know regarding this issue and I don't let it trouble my overall faith in the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment