Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"He Teaches my hands to make war." God did that?


Here is another example of what the casual observer would probably say is "unChristian".  How could a loving God teach war?  That just doesn't jibe with their view of the all loving God and Kumbaya Jesus who only love and never hold accountable.  They are accepting of everything because after all, God is love. 

As I've said over and over, the Bible is a book of balance.  One of the things that the Bible teaches us is that God and Jesus are always in agreement.  Because of that it is sometimes hard for people to reconcile the God of the OT with Jesus in the NT.  I think the following verses give a great example.

Psalms 18:31-34(NKJV)
31    For who is God, except the Lord?      And who is a rock, except our God?
32    It is God who arms me with strength,     And makes my way perfect.
33    He makes my feet like the feet of deer,     And sets me on my high places.
34    He teaches my hands to make war,     So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Once God has taught war what did He expect and allow David to do with it?

Psalms 18:37-42(NKJV)
37    I have pursued my enemies and overtaken them;      Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed.
38    I have wounded them,     So that they could not rise;     They have fallen under my feet.
39    For You have armed me with strength for the battle;     You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.
40    You have also given me the necks of my enemies,     So that I destroyed those who hated me.
41    They cried out, but there was none to save;     Even to the Lord, but He did not answer them.
42    Then I beat them as fine as the dust before the wind;     I cast them out like dirt in the streets.

David totally destroyed his enemies and God helped him do it.  Wow, how could a loving God do that?  David's enemies cried out to God for help and God ignored them and refused to help them.  How could a loving God do that?

I believe their confusion comes from their willfully ignoring parts of the Bible.  Here is what I believe is the distinction.  God's blessing and promises are reserved for His people.  Those who believe that Jesus Christ is God's son, that Jesus was crucified and on the third day arose from the dead and He now sits at God's right hand.  Those who believe that Jesus died for our sins.  When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior we become heirs with Jesus.  We are welcomed with loving arms into God's family.

Those who chose not to accept Jesus the Bible tells us become enemies of God.  They have chosen to stand in opposition to God.  The OT shows us how God deals with His enemies.  Take note that God doesn't listen to their prayers and He doesn't come to their rescue.  Why?  Because THEY CHOSE to be enemies of God.

How can a loving God do that?  I see no contradiction here whatsoever.  Let's look at it through the lens of God the father.  When you discipline a child, do you love them any less?  Of course not.  Then why do you do it?  Because that child has chosen to challenge your authority in a way that isn't healthy and helpful for that child.  You discipline to correct that behavior.  The child is free to correct their poor behavior and then they find themselves back in the good graces of the parent. 

It's no different with God.  Any person who has declared themselves an enemy of God is free to change their mind at any time.  At the point that they accept Jesus they are welcomed back with open loving arms.  And the key here is that we always have the choice.  It's not forced on us.  As long has someone declares themselves to be an enemy of God, why would you expect God to deal with them any differently that what they have asked for?

2 comments:

  1. Well said! It seems pretty black and white to me! You can't expect God to have your back when you're His enemy!

    ReplyDelete