Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

But the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it.


Wow, now that is some good Scripture right there!

Ecclesiastes 7:11-12(NKJV)
11    Wisdom is good with an inheritance,      And profitable to those who see the sun.
12    For wisdom is a defense as money is a defense,     But the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it.

One of the main themes of the book of Proverbs is about the need to pursue wisdom and the benefits of doing so.

Now I may be reading a little bit into this but here is my take on it.

The joy and satisfaction and prosperity that we experience in life will be somewhat in proportion to the pursuit and acquisition of wisdom and knowledge. 

Make sense? 

More importantly, seem fair?

Why would I ask if it seems fair?  Because it relates to the whole social fairness and justice issue. 

I think many would agree that it does seem fair.  The more effort someone puts into acquiring wisdom through education etc, the better the chances are that they will have pretty good life. 

So why is it that people who haven't pursued wisdom who end up poor are said to be being treated unfairly or unjustly?  To me there is nothing unfair or unjust about that at all.

Unfortunate?  Certainly!  When you have the opportunity to pursue wisdom and choose not to, I think that is a terrible tragedy.  So much so that I am reminded of what Jesus said about the person who failed to apply himself at the end of the parable of the talents.  Remember?  

Luke 19:22-27(NKJV)
22And he said to him, ‘Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow. 
23Why then did you not put my money in the bank, that at my coming I might have collected it with interest?’
24“And he said to those who stood by, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to him who has ten minas.’ 
25(But they said to him, ‘Master, he has ten minas.’) 
26‘For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 
27But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.’”

Jesus doesn't seem to think it is unfair or unjust does He?  Hmm.  Food for thought isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment