Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Common False Beliefs


Here's one.  God wants everyone to be saved. 

That is one of those common beliefs that we hear that doesn't seem to be supported by Scripture.  At least not by Jesus' words anyway.  It sounds good, especially for those of the Kumbaya persuasion but there is plenty of Scripture that says otherwise.  Take a look.

John 6:40(NKJV)
40And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Hear Jesus says quite clearly that God, who sent Jesus, only wants everlasting life extended to those who believe in Jesus.  That clearly means that God doesn't want those who reject Jesus saved.  Nothing ambiguous about this.

Well maybe they meant that God wants everyone to have a chance to be saved.  Let's see if that works.

John 6:43-44(NKJV)
43Jesus therefore answered and said to them, “Do not murmur among yourselves. 
44No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 

Think that one through.  Does that mean that there are some who God specifically chooses not to draw to Him?  It seems like a logical extension of that verse to me.

And how about this. 

John 6:65(NKJV)
65And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.

Again it seems to say that there are some that are excluded.  I can think of one example right off the top of my head.

Mark 3:28-30(NKJV)
28“Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 
29but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”—
30because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

I think Scripture is extremely clear that God does not want anyone who has blasphemed the Holy Spirit saved, even if they repent. 

So where did this idea that God wants everyone saved come from?  My guess is probably right here.

2 Peter 3:9(NKJV)
9The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward £us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

First off this was written by Peter.  If I have a difference in Scripture between Jesus' words and Peter's words; I'm going with Jesus words.  I think this is an example of how these false beliefs get started. 

I'm sure Peter was well intentioned.  He had been taught by Jesus, but he added his own little twist.  Again nothing malicious about it.  I'm sure Peter thought he was helping clarify things to make it easier for people to understand.

However as you can see above, it isn't what Jesus said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment