Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

"If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved,…"


I have always loved the Parable of the Talents.  The theme that God has given us many gifts and talents which we need to us for God's glory or risk losing them. 

It's the risk losing them part that many people seem to have trouble with.  It just doesn't fit that loving Kumbaya image of Jesus that some people have.  Here is the passage I am talking about.  

Matthew 25:24-30(NKJV)
24“Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 
25And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’
26“But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 
27So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 
28So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
29‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 
30And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Now couple that with the concept that we don't all get equal rewards in Heaven.  While salvation is based on faith and is free to everyone our rewards in Heaven are based on our service to God. 

Now the Kumbaya folks really have issues.  Not only was Jesus mean and a name caller in the previous verse, they now find out that God isn't "fair" in their opinion.

My suggestion is that we look to Scripture for our answer.  My experience has been that when you see just a single verse or two that form the complete basis for a belief I think that belief is suspect.  However when you run across common themes that appear in multiple books in the Bible you can have much more confidence in your interpretation.

In previous writings I have offered examples of verses to support the theme.  In that spirit let me add a couple more verses here.  

1 Corinthians 3:8(NKJV)
8Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15(NKJV)
11For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 
12Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 
13each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 
14If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 
15If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Paul spells it out pretty clearly doesn't he?  The person will still be saved but will suffer loss based on poor performance.   Isn't that essentially the same thing the Parable of the Talents is saying?  

No comments:

Post a Comment