Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

An Important Warning To The "Enlightened"


I know I have been guilty of this.  Where exactly do we draw the line? 

Colossians 2:8-10(NKJV)
8Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 
9For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 
10and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

Wisdom can be found in many places.  As Christians should we only draw our wisdom from the Bible?  When have we gone too far?

Here is my take on it. 

I have read quite a bit of American Indian folk lore.  There are some great stories that make great points.  Is it OK to use the wisdom you find there?  

I'd say it depends.  It depends on how you use it and it depends on your motivations.

In the example above I was searching for enlightenment outside of the Bible.  This was back in my late teens and early 20s.  I had been confirmed in the church in 8th grade and then rebelled.  I was searching for what I really believed. 

I believe my motivation was wrong and exactly the thing that Paul was warning about.  On the other hand now that my motivation is right, in other words my focus is on Christ, I think it is fine to use that folk wisdom to supplement the wisdom that I get from the Bible, as long as it doesn't contradict the wisdom I draw from the Bible. 

Make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment