Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2015

Is God infallible...or not?


I read this passage today and it prompted a question for me.  I have always thought that one of the bedrock beliefs is that God is infallible.  God is perfect and He doesn't make mistakes. 

Well take a look at this. 

Jeremiah 27:2-5(NKJV)
2“Thus says the Lord to me: ‘Make for yourselves bonds and yokes, and put them on your neck, 
3and send them to the king of Edom, the king of Moab, the king of the Ammonites, the king of Tyre, and the king of Sidon, by the hand of the messengers who come to Jerusalem to Zedekiah king of Judah. 
4And command them to say to their masters, “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel—thus you shall say to your masters: 
5‘I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are on the ground, by My great power and by My outstretched arm, and have given it to whom it seemed proper to Me. 

This is where God is getting ready to send Judah into captivity in Babylon.  God seems to be saying "I gave this land to who I thought best but that didn't work out so now I'm taking it away". 

Now some would say it was part of God's plan.  Maybe.  But the way it is worded seems to indicate that God in His best judgement at the time gave it to Judah.  But that didn't work out so He was taking it away.  Is that God acknowledging an error in His previous judgement? 

Not a big deal either way.  I just found the wording curious. 

Why isn't it a big deal to me?  Because God is so respectful of our free will.  You can make all the plans you want but if others in those plans have free will to act differently than you had planned, then your plans may not always turn out as expected.

Thinks about it.  Even God had to have faith in Jesus didn't He?  Jesus as man had free will.  He could have exercised His free will and not followed through on the whole crucifixion thing.  But He didn't and aren't we thankful for that?!

And that is why it isn't a big deal to me.  It's about faith, not whether God got every little thing correct throughout history.  Faith in Jesus Christ.  Is He who He said He is?  I believe He is, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment